Job Title: Curator / Manager – Kilkenny Civic Trust
Employer: Kilkenny Civic Trust
Reporting to: CEO of Kilkenny Civic Trust
Responsible for: The Commercial Management & Curation of Medieval Mile Museum & other Kilkenny Civic Trust Attractions
Kilkenny Civic Trust Ltd has engaged Optimize Recruitment to secure the services of an experienced Curator / Manager.
Kilkenny Civic Trust Ltd operates and manages the Medieval Mile Museum, the properties of Butler House and Garden and the adjacent properties at the Castle Yard, which is home to the Design and Crafts Council of Ireland, Kilkenny Design Centre, and several craft businesses.
Role Overview: To manage the operation and the delivery of the customer experience, guided tours, events, exhibitions, collections care, residencies, educational and public programmes at Civic Trust attractions in particular the Medieval Mile Museum while achieving business objectives. The Trust has ambitious plans to grow the appeal and footfall at the museum into the future. The duties & responsibilities of the role can vary & be subject to change, depending on the needs & requirements of the business, into the future.
Duties & responsibilities of the role will include:
- To optimise the commercial potential of the business.
- To establish a best practice curatorial approach to artefact care, documentation, conservation, research, and presentation of the museum.
- To continually improve the visitor experience
- To help raise the museum profile among domestic and international audiences.
- To propose and reach agreement on a programme of events, exhibitions, displays and activities at the museum.
- To develop educational policies and programmes for the museum.
- To liaise closely with the National Museum of Ireland and other key stakeholders
- To work closely with schools to grow awareness of the value of heritage.
- To ensure the museum operates to agreed best practice attraction / museum standards.
- To work closely with the Marketing team in the development of museum marketing plans and online experiences
- To monitor the upkeep of artefacts and tabulate and collate records relating to same.
- To manage and supervise staff.
- To liaise with external organisations to access funding for the development of the customer experiences.
- To attend management meetings and report versus key performance indicators
- To liaise closely with the CEO in implementing the strategic plan
The role will require the successful candidate to have:
- Third Level degree in Archaeology or Museum Studies or equivalent qualification.
- A Masters qualification would be an advantage.
- A Customer focus with excellent commercial business acumen.
- Minimum of 3 years professional experience in curating and managing a museum / visitor attraction facility.
- Experience in the selecting and managing of museum staff.
- Experience in the management of museum collections, artefacts, and objects.
- Target driven with the ability to meet deadlines & achieve results.
- A team player with excellent communication & problem-solving skills.
Standard Hours: 39-hour week Flexible working arrangement: 5/7 working week.
A competitive salary will apply.
Closing date for applications:
- Monday 17th May @ 12 noon
For additional information and a confidential discussion contact: Eoin on 056-7786631 / 087 0505417 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
All applications will be dealt with in the strictest confidence and your CV will never be released without your prior approval.
Job Ref Number: KCT- 22632